Jan 2016 - Feb. 2016. LED tail lights upgrade.
Shown above are the new LED (1955) tail lights used in this upgrade.
It is a few years (2007) since the modern tail lights which came with the truck were removed. They are shown below.
1947-53 tail lights are shown below and the 55 (LED) tail lights are shown at the top of the page.
I preferred the "55" lights and they were fitted. At that time they were only available with filament bulbs.
I also thought the 55 lights looked very good when they were stacked with two on each side. The lower lights being
for all of the usual functions and the upper lights used as reversing lights. The upper lights were originally
modified with halogen bulbs and clear lenses. However, the lights were let down by the rubber boots on the back
for cable entry and the black untidy cable wrap. In addition, someone in the past had welded heavy angle on
the sides of the bed stake holders to hold the lights. These lights and old brackets are shown below.
The thick angle has now been removed and replaced with a neat stainless steel bar which bolts into the stake holders.
The pictures below show a temporary steel bar, the stainless bar will replace it after the truck has been painted.
Recently there has been a move to LED lights in the auto industry and now new "55" replacement LED lights have become
available in this format. The lower lights were replaced with this new version and the halogen bulbs were removed from the
upper lights and white LED bulbs were fitted. It was then important to address the cabling problem. By drilling 20m holes
in the back of the lamps (at the cable entry), glands could be fitted and stainless steel flexible conduit used.
The new lower lights only used the bulb holder as a connector and so removing it and drilling a hole at that point was
possible. Another hole higher up in the lower lamp made the cable link from the upper lamp possible. The upper lamp
also had a 20mm hole drilled in place of the lamp holder. A new lamp holder and bulb was fitted above the hole. A 20mm
hole was also drilled near the bottom of the stake holder. The final design and appearance was exactly what I was
looking for. The rear lights are now neat and look excellent.
pictures below are from 2016 after the truck was painted.
Click on the banner below to see our new web site.
It is about a new hard tonneau cover (bed lid) for the 1947-53 Chevy truck.
Model - "Zero Impact Ultimate 3100" Tonneau cover. Fit without drill holes in your truck.
You can read about it and you can order it. It is available now.
Click on the banner above.
• A hard tonneau cover. Completely rigid, solid and strong. Folding.
• Zero impact. It can be fitted without drilling any holes in the truck. All paint work protected.
• Does not detract from the appearance of the truck. Enhances the appearance of the truck.
• With the cover removed and just the hardware kit showing it still looks "show quality".
• When the cover is fitted but open it still looks excellent and does not detract in any way from the appearance of the truck.
• The cover can be removed in under five minutes.
• All materials and finishes are of the highest quality.
• There is a choice of hardware support finishes to suit painted or patina trucks.
• A water drainage system is included to prevent water from leaking into the bed.
• Better than original factory quality. Just look at the pictures above.
• The model shown is supported by a mirror polished stainless steel installation kit.
• This tonneau cover is for the - 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953 Chevy truck. Advanced design stepside 3100.
Link to our main site. Satellite TV.
Sponsored by Vision International.
Note. One of our businesses, Vision International (established 1991) sponsors the
1952 Chevy truck site including financial support for this web site.
Vision International is one of a group of businesses that we have in the field of
Satellite TV. This is a link to our sponsor.
Tune in an extra 10,000 channels? No you don't need a large dish but we do sell
big dishes as well. Watch the world? Links to some of the pages are below,
Mobile / caravan satellite
Satellite finder meters
All satellite products.
This 1952 Chevy truck web site is maintained on a non-profit
making voluntary basis. Our main business website is at
Our main business is satellite TV and we are a specialist
satellite company. We supply satellite goods in the UK
and worldwide including fixed and motorised satellite
systems, accessories, and installation equipment.